Sunday, November 3, 2013

Racism and Prejudice in a Racially Homogenous Country


I’d like to start this off by stating up front that some of my statements are going to be broad generalizations because that is the easiest way to say them. I do not believe that the entire country of Swaziland only thinks one thing or one way, nor do I believe all Swazis are the same. That being said, adding that at the end of every sentence would get tedious for me to write and you to read, so take it as implied, please.

Swaziland is a very homogenous country. It is 97% Swazi, which is pretty remarkable. It is a peaceful country surrounded by countries with higher rates of violence, histories of revolution and civil war, and completely different cultures. Swazis have a lot of pride in being Swazi and in their well-preserved and peaceful culture, and sometimes that comes out in the form of a prejudice against anyone who is not Swazi. The prejudices seem to vary depending on the race of the person in question, so I’ll cover what I have personally observed in my 4 months here.

Asians

All Asians are Chinamen. All of them. The word “Asian” is not even a word here. One of our volunteers, who is of Vietnamese descent, faced a harsh comment during training. A child walked up to her and said, and I quote, “Are you a human being?” I’m serious. She was not even seen as a person because of her race.

Another volunteer, who has been here a year and is of Chinese descent, gets some comments in Siteki. People tell him that they have seen his friends at the Smile Supermarket. The Smile Supermarket is run by Asians, but they are not people he knows or has even met. They are not friends, let alone acquaintances.

Non-Swazi black people

My family has asked me before why all black Americans are so ghetto. They say that they are uncivilized and not smart. Much of the media that makes it over here that they have been exposed to is slapstick black humor (we watched Big Momma the other night). These movies, to someone with no understanding of American culture, are being misinterpreted. I tried to clear things up, but my words are hard to believe over movies they have seen.

One of our black volunteers tries very hard to integrate into the culture. His Siswati is wonderful, he rocks the traditional wear, and he has even learned some of the dances. Swazis are fond of saying that he is not American, he is Swazi; when he says otherwise, they say he is lying.

I had a man tell me today that he hates the Mozambicans. He said he would never let one stay with him because he or she would rob him of everything while he slept. He called them uncivilized and thieves. There is a bit of history here. When Mozambique was having a civil war in the 1970s, the Swazis of my village snuck over and stole their cattle. Today, the Mozambicans of the nearest village steal our cattle, but they say that are merely stealing them back. You know, 30 years later. Being on the border does lead to some tension.

I have also heard negative comments made about the Zulus, Kenyans, and Rwandans, but only positive things have been said about the people of Botswana. I have no idea why.

White people

This one is loaded. Most of the white people that come into Swaziland come as part of aid organizations that hand out money or resources. One of the perceptions I have faced is people’s joy at seeing me, and then anger when they are told that I have no money to give them, only trainings. They say that they want money and food, not to be taught. They see me as someone who can save them singlehandedly with donations, not someone who is trying to live and work here. This is frustrating, because the joyful reaction is built entirely on me being a walking ATM. It is dehumanizing.

A weird sort of possessiveness and control is something else I have experienced. People I have never met before will stop me on my way around to ask “Uyaphi?” (Where are you going?). I get asked by every stranger. They need to know where I am going, how long I will be there, what I am doing there, and then all the personal information about me (marital status, age, number of children, how my parents feel about me being here). A walk that would take 20 minutes in silence takes an hour. I also get told how to act, which, I’m sure my parents would confirm, bothers me to no end. Actual examples include, but are not limited to:

·      It is good that you are single – now you must date a Swazi man.
·      You must come to my homestead and cook for me.
·      You must teach my child English.
·      Tomorrow, you must wear earrings.
·      You must marry my son and take us all to America.
·      You must learn to cook the beetroot.
·      You must eat only Swazi food.
·      You must jog so that you will be beautiful again and a Swazi will marry you.
·      Please give me 5 rand.
·      You must bath by filling the tub and splashing yourself. You must not wash your hair in a separate tub. That is your way. Our way is better.

Most of these were said by complete strangers. I have no idea why they feel that they must control my life this way, but they do.

Children need to each ask “How are you?” when I pass by. This means that in a group of 10 children, I get asked the question 10 consecutive times, each of which is followed by a group giggle. I have no idea why they do this, but when I start ignoring them after the 5th or 6th child, they chase me and shout louder. Kids are persistent here.

I frequently get told that I am wrong or that I am a liar when I try to correct misperceptions about America. I showed someone a map, but he still insisted that New York was the biggest state and my map was wrong. I was told that I made up that people are homeless and poor, because every single person in America is rich. I’m not sure if this is a racial prejudice, but it drives me nuts. It’s certainly a cultural prejudice – Swazis know more about America than the resident American.

The final type of prejudice I have experienced is that of men proposing. I tell them they must fly to America and ask my father. That usually gets a laugh. When it’s the fifth one of the day and he insists that he really loves me, he’s not like those other guys, I tend to just say angifuni (I don’t want) and storm away. Sometimes that makes them angry. They do not treat women of other races this way.

Pakistanis

There are a lot of Pakistanis here. I do not know why, but many of the ones I see weekly own shops. Swazis call these shops Indali shops, meaning shops owned by Indians. I have heard it said that they will cheat you out of money, that they are lazy, that they are criminals, and that they are only here to own shops. Personally, I think the shops are great, and so do most Swazis.

Other races

A Hispanic volunteer has been told that he is not from America because he is not white. That happens to other minorities here more often than you’d expect.

Further disclaimers

I do not intend to belittle or ignore racism and prejudice experienced by minorities in America. I, however, do not currently live in America. Being a racial minority is a different experience in every country and every culture, and it’s different for people of every race.

Swazis do not see people of other races very often, and so that lack of exposure leads to this ignorance. We do it too – have you ever seen Mean Girls? Cady is from Africa, and she talks about jungle madness. Africa is a pretty massive continent, and it’s not all covered by jungle. Americans still talk about the genocide in Rwanda, and I’m pretty sure that most of Rwanda has been fine for some time now. We have our misperceptions about people and places we are not exposed to as well, so do not think ill of the Swazis based on what I have said.

I hope I have illustrated an interesting cultural facet of life here. Overall, I have felt welcomed and loved by umndeni wahmi (my new family). This is a period of adjustment – for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment