Thursday, July 25, 2013

The Universal Language


Some people say that math is the universal language. If you were to ask my bosisi (sisters) what they thought of that, they would disagree! Math is a language spoken fluently by few compared to what I believe is the true universal language: music.

My family took me to church today. Their church is called AAFM, African Apostolic Faith Mission.  I’ve always thought that church in general was kind of boring, and it is in fact even more boring when the sermon is in a language you do not speak. I do not mean to speak ill of the pastor – I just had no idea what was going on for most of the two-hour service. The parts of the service that were not spoken, however, were when the magic happened.

The singing always started with one singer, sometimes male, sometimes female. The only instruments were cushions wrapped with duct tape and held in one hand. They were drums, and were beaten with the other hand. As the drummers kept their beat and other people joined in singing, the song swelled in volume and the number of harmonies increased until the whole building seemed to be filled to the brim with sound and song and joy.

I could tell looking around the room some of the things that I know to be true about music. Each singer had a slightly different facial expression. For some, the music was an expression of thanks or of joy, and they sang sedately. For others, the music was gratitude and praise that needed to be heard! They sang loudly, with their eyes closed, moving to the music. For others still, they really felt the music. Their eyes were also closed, their faces held in absolute rapture, lost in the sound of the voices and the experience of singing. Music is a deeply personal experience, but those personal experiences united to form the swell of sound that was both overwhelming and exalting. It was the sharing and uniting of more than just voices; it was a union of souls, and it was one of the most powerful things I have ever experienced.

Whether it is playing in a combo in Starbucks, an orchestra in Clowes, a national championship basketball game in a stadium, or singing in a church in Swaziland, music is something that has been a part of the lives of so many people that I know. It is a crucial part of the lives of people all over the world. It expresses sadness so deep that words have not been invented to describe what the heart contains. It expresses joy so powerful that words could not be shouted loudly enough to share the fire that is burning so brightly. Music is an experience that is part of being human.

Thank you, Swaziland, for that reminder. AEA.

2 comments:

  1. This is one of the best blog posts I've ever read...I felt I was there too; that I could see those faces and somehow hear that music! Lovely, lovely post!

    ReplyDelete